Tuesday, November 17, 2009

You Gotta Serve Somebody

"Well, it may be the devil or it may be the Lord
But you're gonna have to serve somebody."

Cruising through my Ipod in the car yesterday, this song by Bob Dylan came on and I've spent a fair amount of time thinking about it's lyrics since. It's not a complicated song. In fact, it mostly lists off various occupations and the choice of anyone in those positions to serve. State trooper, construction worker, rock n roll addict etc. I guess it's the simplicity of the song that catches my attention, even if it does get a little repetitive at times. It's so easy to think of my life as being pretty wholesome, that I'm a "good girl" and don't do a lot that hurts people. This song reminds me that I'm wrong.

Every day is a series of choices.
Every conversation, every action and interaction is a statement.
Who do I serve?

Last week I had the privilege to sit in on a meeting of coworkers. This group's goal is to make our staff feel loved, respected and valued. They write thank you notes and bake cookies, all of which are delivered anonymously. Every year, they plan a Thanksgiving Dinner and Christmas Party for our seasonal and international staff, who don't get to go home for the holidays.
The staff Thanksgiving Dinner was held last night and 80 people came out to celebrate together. My co-worker, Marie, and I volunteered to be on dish duty. Selfishly, it was because they had previously been planning on using disposable dishes and, as a member of the Green Team, was bummed out about it. I told them if they used REAL plates, I'd wash them. :) What I found was that busing tables for those I work with was SO fun. I was able to interact, even if just for a moment, with every single attendee. I was able to smile and happily take their dirty plates as their Tryptophan comas set in. I cleared the plates of my boss and of the kids who clean my office (to clarify, they're not actual kids, they're 20). It was incredible and people were surprised that we had volunteered to do the dirty work.
It was an incredibly meaningful experience for me. So meaningful, in fact, that I am starting today with a renewed attitude of service. I am walking out to work, wondering what I can do for others today. Cognizant of the choices I will make in service.

It may be the devil or it may be the Lord but you're gonna have to serve somebody.

No comments: