Friday, December 18, 2009

Top Ten Concerts


Recently I was involved in an email exchange on the topic of "Best Concerts Seen." The friend I was exchanging with sent his list to me as a Top Ten (in order to cut it off somewhere) and I replied with mine.
I am a music lover. It sounds kind of weird to say that because I don't know many people who don't love music...but I REALLY love music. I love it live, in the car, in the shower, and even on occasion, lying on the floor in the dark (yeah, i know). It's always exciting when I find people who share my appreciation for great tunes and/or have similar taste. There have, honestly, not been too many of these people in my life. It is pretty common to think I have discovered the END ALL, BE ALL of current artists only to discover I am alone in my affection for them.


So, I charge you with the question: What is the BEST live show you've seen and why?

Here is my (veeerrry abridged version) list of the top ten I've seen....

1. Sigur Ros: A band from Iceland, I was introduced to them by a friend in Chicago, who I'll mention in number two. The night of this concert, Omaha was under a tornado warning and I was in the basement, not checking the weather, but the status of the concert. My friend, Rachel picked me up in a torrential downpour and we took the chance. We were in luck! Game On! To me, Sigur Ros is the epitome of God's music. It is the soundtrack I believe He would pick to life. In that they are Icelandic, I can't understand a word, which in turn, demonstrates the true power in their music. It is the soundtrack to a sunrise, what you would feel standing atop a mountain and the sound of wind blowing through a valley. Seeing them live was very emotional. There's nothing pretentious about their shows, no pomp and circumstance. Just music.

2. Sigur Ros again: One of the few friends I truly share my appreciation for music with is Paul. I've known him for a decade and he may be the only other person I've met who understands why some music MUST be listened to in the dark, preferably lying on the floor. I flew back to Chicago for ONE night...to see Sigur Ros with Paul. Sixth row, center, Chicago Theater with the only other person who gets Sigur Ros the way I do.

3. John Mayer: I know, I know. The first time I saw him, before he was anything big, was an outdoor concert at City Market (not the grocery store but the town square) in Kansas City. I came by way of road trip with friends on a hot and muggy August evening. Guster opened, which left me with no complaints. Now, say what you will about John, but that man plays a mean guitar. He also manages to write songs that frequently resonate with seasons of my life. "Today I finally overcame trying to fit the world inside a picture frame." I saw him two other times, in large indoor arenas...neither matched that first experience.

4. Rilo Kiley: You may remember Jenny Lewis from the Nickelodeon show "Salute Your Shorts." Well, she's grown into an edgy, soulful singer who plays solo, as part of Rilo Kiley, with the Watson Twins and as one half of the one album electronic wonder that was the Postal Service. I saw her as Rilo Kiley at an incredible venue in Omaha, called the Slowdown. Slowdown was started by the founders of Saddle Creek Records, an Omaha label. It's intimate, has phenomenal acoustics and has my favorite local beer on tap. She was great!

5. Whoever that band was at Tour de Fat last year: This is going to hit on two of the greatest things about live music: dancing and a killer horn section. I have NO IDEA who they were but they played that incredible New Orleans/Cajun jazz and the dancing, OH the dancing!! Barefoot in the grass for hours on end with a thousand of your closest friends in costume. And, of course, the New Belgium beer a-flowing. There are few times I've had that much fun at a concert.

6. Barenaked Ladies: I saw them as part of a 3 concerts/3 cities/3 days tour with a friend. I had won tickets on the radio and we drove to Sioux City, IA to see them. While I might be tempted to scream if I hear the Million Dollar song again, I'd be remiss not to mention their live performance. Even if it was a little prop heavy for my liking. And- it was free. You can't argue with free.

7. David Gray: Again, the Chicago Theater allowed for an intimate performance.Mr. Gray is just one of those performers who women swoon over and men want to be. Hearing David Gray sing live is like having Morgan Freeman read you a bedtime story.

8. Simon and Garfunkel: I grew up listening to S&G, along with Cat Stevens, Gordon Lightfoot, James Taylor, Neil Diamond etc. One year, as a combined Father's Day/Birthday gift to my dad, I took him to see S&G in Omaha. They were wonderful, although there was something off-putting about seeing them in an indoor arena called the Qwest Center. What was really special about that concert was going with my dad and enjoying the music together. It was a special night to spend with him.

9. Xavier Rudd: And thus will commence the "Aussie Breakup" portion of my list. A one-man band, Xavier plays the drums, didgeridoo, guitar etc etc with incredible passion. He's a true hippie who's lyrics ofter center around our relationship to each other as much as to the environment. I first saw him the night of a breakup...yep, we broke up AT the concert (it was a mutual breakup but breakups are always sad and I'm emotional). I cried the whole time. I cried and danced.

10. Missy Higgins: She really just made me angry. I find it completely unfair that women that small can have voices that big. In all honesty, what hits me most about Missy is not necessarily her sound (I swear one of her songs might have been a Noxema commercial), but the time it hit me. Again, after a breakup...YIKES, this is an interesting trend...I felt she sang love and loss beautifully. And in a venue like Slowdown, it was very personal for that season.

No comments: